How to extend MPs to load new format of models?

Is there any way to load a model from a source other than JAR files?
I am working on a middleware and now we want to specify non-functional properties. However, we have the architectural model in a XML-based format. We want to define a DSL in MPS but our DSL must reference elements which are in the architecture.

Currently, we have a graphical editor for the architecture and we have a lot of models for different systems.
Instead of extending the editor to accept the new meta-model, I have been thinking in using MPS as editor. However, it depends on the ability of changing MPS to load solutions or models from different sources.
Question is not answered.
Actually you can load your models anywhere you want, you just need to provide your own custom manager.
http://confluence.jetbrains.com/display/MPSD30/Stubs+and+custom+persistence

Ok, I saw the PlainText sample and I read the address above. I understand the source code, but I don't know how to use the feature to load models.

For instance, in the PlainText Sample we can see one language and one solution. The solution has a simple module. I was trying to load a new module into the solution from a directory. I created a directory with a single Text File and I want to load the file, but there is no way.

Is this the way of using a custom manager?
How can I load the model by using the GUI or something?